A Joint Surprise Check (JSC) was conducted by ACB to look into the allegations of fraud, corruption and embezzlement of public money by an NGO namely M/S Social welfare India and officers/officials of Srinagar Municipal Corporation (SMC) in construction of Individual House Hold Latrines (IHHL) units under Swatch Bharat Mission (SBM Scheme).
- It was established in JSC that vide an agreement, 218 IHHL (@ Rs. 17490/ IHHL) and 09 twin storage pits (@ Rs. 12,000/Twin Storage Pit) were to be constructed by the above mentioned NGO and citing the work done, the said NGO submitted a completion certificate in respect of aforesaid constructions appending therein the list of beneficiaries. The commissioner SMC got the matter verified through engineering wing of SMC comprising of the then XEN, JE and submitted physical verification report to the commissioner that the said IHHL and Twin storage pits have been constructed as per SBM/SMC guidelines, subsequent to which an amount of Rs. 38,81,612/= was released in favour said NGO.
- It has come to fore during JSC that not a single unit has been constructed by the said NGO and engineering wing of SMC submitted false completion/verification report to higher-ups facilitating release of huge amount of money in favour of the said NGO against the non-existing works. The officers/officials of SMC in league with the said NGO by sheer abuse of their official positions and for their own pecuniary benefits submitted false completion/verifications report thereby facilitating the release of Rs. 38,81,612/= thereby causing huge loss to state exchequer and undue benefits upon the said NGO and themselves.
- Accordingly case FIR N0.12/2020 U/S 5 (1) (C) , 5 (1) (d), 5 (2) PC Act-2006 and 120 RPC was registered in ACB Srinagar Branch against the officers/officials of SMC which included then Executive Engineer SMC namely Maroof Ahmad, then Junior Engineer SMC namely Javaid Iqbal Shah, and office bearers of said NGO viz Zaheer Abbas Bhatti (Director M/S Social Welfare of India-NGO) and Ishrat Ashraf Shah, (General Secretary M/S Social Welfare of India-NGO).
- Today on 29-08-2020, in compliance to court order dated 28-08-2020, searches were conducted in residential houses/offices of above named accused persons and incriminating material/documents have been recovered.
- The investigation of the case is going on.
Get real time update about this post directly on your device, subscribe now.